Re: Guile 1.8 success on `i386-apple-darwin9.6.0'

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Guile 1.8 success on `i386-apple-darwin9.6.0'
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 21:10:47 +0000

> The good news is that `master' also builds and tests fine on this
> platform with these two patches:

Indeed.  Following the fixes that we did for MacOS earlier in the
1.8.x series, it's good to know that something else hasn't regressed.

> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile.git/commit/?id=6cc323e2ff4e555d58e115032016a50ef15a1948
>

> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile.git/commit/?id=7ca96180f00800414a9cf855e5ca4dceb9baca07

I'm not sure about moving stack-limit-calibration.scm from TESTS to
BUILT_SOURCES.  The point of putting it in TESTS was to help with
cross-compiling.  When cross-compiling, my understanding is that
`make' should be run in a build host environment, and `make check' in
a target host environment.  stack-limit-calibration.scm should be
calculated in the target host environment, so it makes better sense to
do it as part of `make check' than as part of `make'.

>     (The calibrated stack limit on this machine is 45771, i.e., slightly
>      more than on GNU/Linux.)

Isn't that 2.5 times more?  (i.e. not "slightly" :-))  I believe the
GNU/Linux limit is 20000.

> However, this was with `--disable-error-on-warning' because of a problem
> with GCC's visibility attribute:
>
>   ../../libguile/async.c: In function 'scm_i_setup_sleep':
>   ../../libguile/async.c:277: warning: internal and protected visibility
> attributes not supported in this configuration; ignored
>
> We can't use Gnulib's `visiblity' module to fix that because the
> attribute appears in public headers, which are potentially processed by
> compilers other than the one that built Guile.
>
> One possibility would be to move internal things in internal headers
> that are not installed, but it's annoying.  Some "#ifdef" magic would be
> best, but I don't know of any such tricks.  Ideas?

Moving internal things into non-installed headers feels like the best
thing to me.

Regards,
        Neil