Re: Guile 1.8 success on `i386-apple-darwin9.6.0'

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guile 1.8 success on `i386-apple-darwin9.6.0'
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 15:54:46 +0100

Hi Greg,

Greg Troxel <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't think that's true at all.  It could be that for running Linux on
> arm pdas that's what most people do, but for the far more general case
> there is normal cross compiling as autoconf has supported for years.
>
> I am working on a project that does cross builds of a lot of software;
> none of it uses scratchbox.

You may well have more experience than I have.

> I can certainly see the point of something like scratchbox, to ease the
> process and work around software that has non-cross-clean build systems.
> But I wouldn't say it's time to give up on the normal/traditional way.

How would you handle this particular case in a "cross-clean" way?  The
problem is that we need a Guile to compile the compiler.

I think it's not unusual to use just-built binaries to produce some
intermediate source files, especially in the area of interpreters and
compilers.  How do others handle it?

IIRC GCC stage N uses `xgcc' from stage N-1 in the non-cross case.  How
does it work in the cross-compilation case?

Thanks,
Ludo'.