Re: deprecated features

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: deprecated features
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 12:03:33 +1100

> If not now, is there any sort of timescale for when this is scheduled?

Hopefully never for many bits.  I think several things have been
tagged unnecessarily.

If something is not very nice, then by all means shunt it off to a
corner of the manual and advertise the good way.  But taking stuff out
is bad.

> I think it is reasonable to let deprecated interfaces live for one stable
> release,

You yourself have complained about things changed and removed, no?
SCM_STRING_CHARS perhaps ... :-)

One stable is much too short.  Surely it's not reasonable to expect
everyone to review all their programs on every stable release.

> to allow people to update broken programs, and remove them after
> that.

My point is that many bits in question aren't and weren't broken.  Not
too nice, sure, but not utterly hopeless.