Re: deprecated features

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: deprecated features
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 15:35:44 -0800

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> Well, as long as we keep 'supporting' the 1.4 interfaces, there is little
> incentive for developers to upgrade to the 1.6 or 1.8 API.

Let me be clear about this:  it is (most likely) not the developers.
It is my clients.  Some of them upgrade to bleeding edge Guile and
the obsoleted interfaces choke my program.  I update the interfaces
and somebody running on a platform still on Guile 1.4 complains that
it chokes and dies on their system.  I could, of course, incorporate
the Guile library into my project, but I've determined that that is
way, way, way over the top.  If the interfaces are not stable enough
for me to readily be able to support the current active platforms,
then it is changing too quickly.  As it is, I have a long collection
of interface macros that wrap around Guile interfaces.  Maintaining
that isn't fun.  :(  [even less fun is the scm_c_eval_string_from_file_line()
thing, the subject of posts in the past...]

WRT the BSD distro:  It's been a couple of years since I encountered
the issue.  I don't actively track it.  A friend at UofU lets me play
on some of his build platforms, so I'll try to remember to check next
time I log in there.  I'm certain it is pretty old.

Cheers - Bruce