Re: When is 1.8 going to be released

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: When is 1.8 going to be released
Date: 22 Jul 2003 14:51:56 +0200

> Just wondering what time-frame you had in mind for releasing 1.8,

I myself don't have any time-frame yet and I don't feel like we need
to hurry.  But that's just me.  I'm certainly looking forward to 1.8,
it's going to have some very good things in it.

> what is still left to do, and who is working on
> what-needs-to-be-done.

There is a list in workbook/tasks/TODO.  The biggest items are

  - Implement scm replacements for all of GH

This includes designing the replacement first and writing
documentation, both tutorial style and reference style.

  - Cleanup threading code and document it.  Especially the roles of
    the different APIs (C low level, Scheme, Plugin)

That should not be much work, but I have to admit that I'm a bit
confused right now and need to make room in me head before attempting
this.

  - Make 1.8 backwards compatible again with 1.6.

This should be nearly done, but needs more testing.

I want to work on these items when I have finished my thesis, which
hopefully happens in the next three to four weeks.  Knock on wood...