Re: Release now?

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: Release now?
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 17:28:19 +0100

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> Greg Troxel <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'm all for shorter intervals between releases, but it would be good
>> to make sure that packages expecting 1.6 can work with 1.8 (modulo
>> insisting on a specific version when it isn't necessary, which is easy
>> to patch).
>
> Yes, we definitely need to be able to have two versions of Guile
> installed with the same prefix and have them be usable for running
> programs.  However, I don't think we need to make special arrangements
> for being able to compile against two versions of Guile at the same
> time.  Having to use different prefices for the two versions seems
> acceptable to me.
>
> Would pkg-config address this issue?  I.e. could one say `guile-config
> --use-version 1.6 link` (or something similar) with the effect that
> the right '-L' and '-R' options are spit out?

If you talk of pkg-config[0], you could easily have this by simply
installing two .pc files (named for example, guile-1.6.pc and
guile-1.8.pc) in $(prefix)/lib/pkgconfig. You'd then call `pkg-config
--libs guile-1.6' to get the right -L and -R options...

Regards, Andy

[0] http://www.freedesktop.org/software/pkgconfig/
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden        | address@hidden |