Re: Release now?

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Release now?
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 14:14:11 -0600

Greg Troxel <address@hidden> writes:

> Either that or multiple prefixes, and I see that multiple prefixes are
> frowned upon by the FHS.  Since there is no proposal on the table to
> remove the ability to use --prefix, that's not an issue.

We'd definitely keep --prefix.  I think many of us use it all the
time, even under a distribution like Debian/RH, etc. for local
compiles.

> guile14-src $ ./configure --prefix=/usr/pkg/guile/1.4
> guile16-src $ ./configure --prefix=/usr/pkg/guile/1.6
> guile18-src $ ./configure --prefix=/usr/pkg/guile/1.8

Sure, I'd expect this to still work fine.

> Then, it would be good to understand the ripple effects on e.g. having
> guile-gtk for two guile versions installed - can that just adopt the
> same scheme?

Maybe -- now that we're talking about this again, I have the feeling
that I thought about the -L/usr/lib/guile/VERSION trick a while back
and rejected it for some reason :/  But if it works for guile, others
should also be able to use /usr/lib/FOO/VERSION for their own version
specific .so -> ../../libFOO.so.X.Y.Z  symlinks.

> bin/guile
> bin/guile-snarf
> bin/guile-config
> bin/guile-tools
>   put in bin/guile/X.Y, and symlink one to bin/guile

Actually I was thinking of ${bindir}/guile-X.Y{,-snarf,-config,...},
and perhaps an easy way to create the non-versioned symlinks.

this means that in the pkg approach, you'd probably have
/usr/pkg/guile/1.4/bin/guile-1.4, etc., unless we arranged for
--opt-style-install or similar.

> include/libguile.h
>   put in include/guile/X.Y/{libguile/*,guile/*,libguile.h}, with no symlinks.
>   people should be using guile-config/pkgconfig, so there is no need
>   to have anything work  unless the appropiate
>   -I/usr/include/guile/1.4 is given.

right.

> info/guile.info
> info/guile.info-1
> [...]
>   put in info/guile/X.Y/*, with symlinks from info if the
>   --primary-symlinks option was given.  This makes them all available
>   and the primary obtained by default.

This one is somewhat harder if we have any cross-links.  AFAIK there's
still no good solution for this, and if there is one, I'd *love* to
hear about it.  It's a real pain wrt the emacsen...

> lib/libguile.a

what I was thanking about is

  lib/guile/1.8/libguile.a
  lib/guile/1.8/libguile.la
  lib/guile/1.8/libguile.so -> ../../libguile.so.15.0.0
  lib/libguile.so.15
  lib/libguile.so.15.0
  lib/libguile.so.15.0.0

of course as I mentioned, we may have to have an enhanced ltdl before
this would work because we'd really need something like

  lib/libguile.la.15.0.0

rather than the above .la file.

--
Rob Browning