Re: primitive-load returning result of last evaluation?

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Re: primitive-load returning result of last evaluation?
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 23:27:44 +0200 (MEST)

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Rob Browning wrote:

> Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > i think this is a reasonable change, but perhaps there is a good
> > reason this hasn't been done since return value was fixed in 1996-09
> > (libguile/load.c 1.4).
>
> I'd be hesitant to change this too until we've had a chance to
> consider the issue carefully.  I can't think of anything offhand that
> would make this a bad idea, but it's not functionality we could easily
> rescind once we provide it, and I have this nagging feeling there
> might be some problem I'm not thinking of...

I can't think of any problems, except that the standard 'load itself does
not provide a return value.  And, implementing a load* that returns a
value is quite simple.  However, in order to spare people some work (I
once also needed such a load function), we should provide it, but, I'd
rather go for a standard implementation and provide such extensions as
optional packages.

Best regards
Dirk Herrmann