Re: scm_num2int change

From: Bill Schottstaedt
Subject: Re: scm_num2int change
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 04:46:27 -0700

> > Where in "num" does it say "exact num"?
> Where in "num" does it say "integer"? :)

I've always suspected the Guile developers don't actually use Guile.
If its name is num2int the obvious thought it that it's converting
a scheme integer to a C integer.  If I have a C procedure taking
SCM args (you really should write one someday), and I ask
is this an integer, and I get "yes", I should be able to say
"give me its value as a C integer" and not have to worry about
whether it's exact (which is an unrelated issue -- it is simply
a bug in Guile that (exact? 3/4) returns #f).  But, I can tell
when I'm talking to a brick wall.  How about providing a
function or macro that returns #t if its arg is handlable by whatever
is today's version of the scm->C conversion routine -- at this
point I have a huge pile of macros trying to clean up after
the mess you're making.