Re: out of date documentation

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Re: out of date documentation
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 12:58:36 +0200 (MEST)

On 16 Apr 2001, Neil Jerram wrote:

> Thanks - applying in a few moments.  Now that the manuals are part of
> guile-core, I think it's reasonable for them to document the current
> state of the code in guile-core.

Great.  Then, however, I do have a suggestion:  Instead of writing:

  Note that, as of Guile 1.4, it is no longer necessary to use the
  @code{SCM_NIMP} macro before calling a finer-grained predicate to
  determine @var{x}'s type, such as @code{SCM_CONSP} or
  @code{SCM_VECTORP}.  The definitions of all Guile type predicates
  now include a call to @code{SCM_NIMP} where necessary.

it might be better to formulate things the other way around.  I. e. the
whole documentation actually documents the current state, and if things
have changed compared to a previous version, we write:

  Note that for versions of Guile prior to 1.4 it was necessary to...

and only describe the old usage there, such that this whole paragraph can
be taken out at some later time without need to extract anything from it.

Best regards,
Dirk Herrmann