grub-devel

Re: are posix-shell-compliant continuation lines valid/supported, or not

From: PGNet Dev
Subject: Re: are posix-shell-compliant continuation lines valid/supported, or not, in /etc/default/grub ?
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 18:08:13 -0700

hi

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/1868138

>  In general, we advise to customize via grub.d drop-in files instead of
> modifying etc/default/grub file itself.

Sure, that's fine as advice.  Fwiw, it's different for different distros.

Declarations that using posix-compliant continuations is "highly unusual abuse
of POSIX shell semantics" is a different matter.

Changing/breaking behavior in managing valid/working grub configs, and
rationalizing it by "I do not see a need to support it"

 is ... unhelpful.

Particularly if Grub project/devs say that its usage *is* OK & compliant.
Which is why I asked _here_; and, iiuc, seems that it *is*.

Grub's stability, reproducibility and portability are critical.  It all works
great, particularly when the excellent docs are followed.

Happy to take ongoing conversation to the bug.