grub-devel

Re: are posix-shell-compliant continuation lines valid/supported, or not

From: Dimitri John Ledkov
Subject: Re: are posix-shell-compliant continuation lines valid/supported, or not, in /etc/default/grub ?
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 02:02:43 +0000

I am sorry which email are the "quoted" phrases from?

Because that's nothing that I have said. I hope you do understand that it is intended for all of the Ubuntu installer & upgrade integrations to keep valid configs compatible. And in general, distros do not intentially break their users for no reason. I simply stated what are the most typical and the most tested customisation and integration point for grub configs on Ubuntu, without making any statements about supportability of the configs that you have observed getting malformed.

On Fri, 20 Mar 2020, 01:08 PGNet Dev, <address@hidden> wrote:
hi

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/1868138

>  In general, we advise to customize via grub.d drop-in files instead of modifying etc/default/grub file itself.

Sure, that's fine as advice.  Fwiw, it's different for different distros.

Declarations that using posix-compliant continuations is "highly unusual abuse of POSIX shell semantics" is a different matter.

Changing/breaking behavior in managing valid/working grub configs, and rationalizing it by "I do not see a need to support it"

 is ... unhelpful.

Particularly if Grub project/devs say that its usage *is* OK & compliant.  Which is why I asked _here_; and, iiuc, seems that it *is*.

Grub's stability, reproducibility and portability are critical.  It all works great, particularly when the excellent docs are followed.

Happy to take ongoing conversation to the bug.