grub-devel

Re: xHCI driver

From: Daniel Kiper
Subject: Re: xHCI driver
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 22:39:57 +0100

Hi Bjorn,

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 01:43:21PM +0100, Bjorn Forsman wrote:
> Hi GRUB developers,
>
> My name is Bjorn Forsman, first time poster. I've been tasked to make
> an xHCI driver for GRUB at my $dayjob. The end goal is to have smart
> card (CCID) reader functionality. We already have a working CCID
> driver on top of EHCI. I have no prior experience with xHCI (nor EHCI
> for that matter), so this is quite the learning experience :-)
>
> I looked in the GRUB mailing list archive and found a couple of old
> threads about xHCI[1], but it looks like there has never been an
> attempt at writing that driver.
>
> Some questions:
>
> * Is there interest in xHCI driver for GRUB? If so I can post patches
> when there is something that works (more or less).

Why not, go ahead. However, this will not be considered as 2.02 release
material.

> * I see the iPXE project has an xHCI driver. Any thoughts on using
> that as a basis? I'm a bit unsure about the licensing, whether iPXE is

I have not checked GRUB and iPXE USB code but I have a feeling that
simple copy paste will not work. Though I think that we can use some
ideas or even some code chunks. At first I would check currently
existing GRUB EHCI and OHCI code. There is a chance that a lot of
stuff can be reused in new xHCI driver. If it is true then I would
check details in iPXE USB code.

> GPLv2 *only* or "at your option, any later version". I guess if it's
> GPLv2+ it is compatible with GRUB's GPLv3+, or else not. Correct?

Ohhh... This is difficult. At first please check licenses for source code
which you are going to use as a base/(source of knowledge) for GRUB xHCI
driver development and drop me a line. Then I will ask legal guys what
we should do.

Have a nice weekend,

Daniel