grub-devel

Re: xHCI driver

From: Bjørn Forsman
Subject: Re: xHCI driver
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 09:48:40 +0100

On 26 November 2016 at 10:29, Andrei Borzenkov <address@hidden> wrote:
> 25.11.2016 15:43, Bjørn Forsman пишет:
>> Hi GRUB developers,
>>
>> My name is Bjørn Forsman, first time poster. I've been tasked to make
>> an xHCI driver for GRUB at my $dayjob. The end goal is to have smart
>> card (CCID) reader functionality. We already have a working CCID
>> driver on top of EHCI. I have no prior experience with xHCI (nor EHCI
>> for that matter), so this is quite the learning experience :-)
>
> What platforms do you target?

i386 PC platform.

> Note that on most platforms grub relies on
> firmware services to access devices, so those direct hardware access
> drivers simply are not used.

You mean like (USB) disk access? Yes, I recently found out about that.
I wondered how GRUB was able to boot a Linux system on my USB 3.0
ports without xhci drivers, but then I learned about 1) all the stuff
that BIOS does and 2) how GRUB uses the BIOS to access disks
(${grub_src}/grub-core/disk/i386/pc/biosdisk.c).

For our project, smartcard reader over USB 3.0, we have to implement
that ourself. BIOS has support for that (AFAICT). (On the other hand,
looks like UEFI might have something.)

Best regards,
Bjørn Forsman