grub-devel

Re: Bugs and tasks for 2.02[~rc1]

From: Peter Jones
Subject: Re: Bugs and tasks for 2.02[~rc1]
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 15:06:41 -0500

On Wed, Mar 02, 2016 at 03:01:03PM +0000, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
> Hello, all. I went through the list of bugs and created a shortlist of bugs
> that need to be looked at for 2.02. I have marked them with plan_release_id
> set to 2.02.
> Statistics: [1]
> Search (with loads of false positives unfortunately): [2]
> Not every bug there is a release blocker, for some of them it just would be
> nice to know status before releasing. Some of them are probably already
> fixed.
>
> Additionally I created a category "Hardware specific" [3]. Bugs there are
> not release blockers but fixing them could benefit the release.

In the interest of fixing them up eventually, here's a chunk
of ones that look reasonably well-suited for upstream without much work
on them, which I've rebased against your master branch today.

https://github.com/vathpela/grub2-fedora/tree/for-upstream

Most of these are not critical for this release - really only 3 of them.
Here are some notes on each; I can send them individually to the list if
you think it's worthwhile.

There are only a couple that are "critical", and we really want in this
release:

bf4d216 Fix crash on http
78b3509 Update to minilzo-2.08
eaa05aa Failed config now returns exit code (#1252311)

Then these are just generic network handling patches:

836b528 DHCP client ID and UUID options added.
eb1adf5 trim arp packets with abnormal size

And these are hardware specific.  They're not critical, in the sense
that I can keep carrying them if you have any problems and we can work
it out for the /next/ release.

beee9fc Add vlan-tag support on IBM PPC machines
93a6fae IBM client architecture (CAS) reboot support
297d32d for ppc, reset console display attr when clear screen
0ca5375 Disable GRUB video support for IBM power machines

2f3c666 Add support for UEFI operating systems returned by os-prober
05f2dc3 Make efi machines load an env block from a variable
1f1a695 Make "exit" take a return code.

The rest are all about the git repo and compilers and similar.  These
are well into "nice to have" for 2.02.  I can re-send them after the
release, they're just what's left on my list that's pretty close to
ready for upstream.

cb62c40 Mark po/exclude.pot as binary so git won't try to diff nonprintables.
e0bb91a Fix bzr's ignore artificats in .gitignore
ecaecc9 Add some __unused__ where gcc 5.x is more picky about it.
e704140 Move bash completion script (#922997)
bc5d351 Allow "fallback" to include entries by title, not just number.
7401bf6 Honor a symlink when generating configuration by grub2-mkconfig
5212412 Fix bad test on GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU.
73545c7 Add GRUB_DISABLE_UUID.

> I would also appreciate if distros would tell which patches they would
> carry if 2.02 was released as it is now. If some patches are in more than 1
> distro we probably need to look into including them.

Well, I have a bunch of patches that need to be clean up (or even
re-examined), and I've also got the secure-boot branch here:

https://github.com/vathpela/grub2-fedora/tree/sb

Which is all the patches distros should be carrying to work with Secure
Boot correctly.  This branch is also recently rebased against master,
though I'm not sure what the current thinking is regarding their path
upstream.

--
        Peter