grub-devel

Re: Bugs and tasks for 2.02[~rc1]

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Bugs and tasks for 2.02[~rc1]
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2016 11:38:00 +0300

04.03.2016 23:06, Peter Jones пишет:
> On Wed, Mar 02, 2016 at 03:01:03PM +0000, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
>> Hello, all. I went through the list of bugs and created a shortlist of bugs
>> that need to be looked at for 2.02. I have marked them with plan_release_id
>> set to 2.02.
>> Statistics: [1]
>> Search (with loads of false positives unfortunately): [2]
>> Not every bug there is a release blocker, for some of them it just would be
>> nice to know status before releasing. Some of them are probably already
>> fixed.
>>
>> Additionally I created a category "Hardware specific" [3]. Bugs there are
>> not release blockers but fixing them could benefit the release.
>
> In the interest of fixing them up eventually, here's a chunk
> of ones that look reasonably well-suited for upstream without much work
> on them, which I've rebased against your master branch today.
>
> https://github.com/vathpela/grub2-fedora/tree/for-upstream
>
> Most of these are not critical for this release - really only 3 of them.
> Here are some notes on each; I can send them individually to the list if
> you think it's worthwhile.
>
> There are only a couple that are "critical", and we really want in this
> release:
>
> bf4d216 Fix crash on http

Fixed differently in 92c8f58d973a621890e302cba3d80fe0bbc208d7

> 78b3509 Update to minilzo-2.08

I know. But the sheer size of update makes me afraid of doing it now.

> eaa05aa Failed config now returns exit code (#1252311)

I think it makes sense.

> Then these are just generic network handling patches:
>
> 836b528 DHCP client ID and UUID options added.

Use case would be interesting. You can query arbitrary option already.

> eb1adf5 trim arp packets with abnormal size

nb is not used anywhere in this branch, so I do not understand what this
code does at all.

> And these are hardware specific.  They're not critical, in the sense
> that I can keep carrying them if you have any problems and we can work
> it out for the /next/ release.
>
> beee9fc Add vlan-tag support on IBM PPC machines

Yes, openSUSE (and I think SUSE) also carries variant of this patch. We
probably need to revisit it.

> 93a6fae IBM client architecture (CAS) reboot support

Is in (open)SUSE as well

> 297d32d for ppc, reset console display attr when clear screen

Does not apply cleanly to upstream (is on top of some other patch?)

> 0ca5375 Disable GRUB video support for IBM power machines

Is in (open)SUSE as well

> 2f3c666 Add support for UEFI operating systems returned by os-prober

We already support it for quite some time, although differently (based
on os-prober support).

> 05f2dc3 Make efi machines load an env block from a variable

This needs discussion. As well, as openSUSE "store environment block in
btrfs reserved area" patch. And there was intention to use PV reserved
areas for it as well.

> 1f1a695 Make "exit" take a return code.

What about
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2016-01/msg00049.html and