grub-devel

Re: Does grub-mkrescue support UEFI hybrid USB/DVD images?

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: Re: Does grub-mkrescue support UEFI hybrid USB/DVD images?
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 11:14:03 +0100

Hi,

Vladimir wrote:
> I think his EFI uses eltorito even from the stick. In that case we end
> up in exactly the same scenario as CD-ROM.

This contradicts all my beliefs about El Torito
(and several wikis where i published them).

I would like to see this theory verified:

The first experiment would be to remove MBR and GPT.
If the theory is right, then it should still boot.
Next one should remove the El Torito catalog entry
for the EFI boot image and check whether it does not
boot any more.
Finally it would be interesting to see whether it
boots if the EFI boot image is only represented by
MBR+GPT but not by El Torito.

To Kris Moore:

If Vladimir's patch does fix the problem, then i would
be willing to patch such an improved ISO to the
experimental forms mentioned above. Just give me a
download URL. I will then determine the necessary dd
commands for you to execute. (Small ISO preferred.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas