grub-devel

Re: Does grub-mkrescue support UEFI hybrid USB/DVD images?

From: adrian15
Subject: Re: Does grub-mkrescue support UEFI hybrid USB/DVD images?
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 01:12:24 +0100

El 22/01/15 a las 22:25, Kris Moore escribió:

Hey all,

We are trying to create hybrid USB/DVD images, and they work just fine
on BIOS. However it doesn't seem to work when creating UEFI.

We are using the following:

# grub-mkrescue -d "/usr/local/lib/grub/x86_64-efi" -o <outfile> <dir>
-- -volid "OURLABEL"

This image does boot UEFI via DVD, but when copied to a USB stick with
dd it fails to boot with the following:

  Hi,

I'm going to describe what I use for making a USB/CDROM EFI/x86 hybrid image for building SG2D (An improved Grub2 Disk).

But my question (after reading other replies to this question) is why Grub2 should be patched for what he wants ? Is it a non standard EFI boot maybe?

  Thank you.

  Debian way
  ==========

Install these two packages:

grub-efi-amd64-bin
grub-pc-bin

Run:

grub-mkrescue -o ./my_grub.iso

Upstream way (I actually want to ask here if this recipe could be improved, but that would be probably need another email thread)
  ============

Make sure no Debian grub package is found in chroot

apt-get remove '.grub.'
Grub2 (efi+pc)) Build and installation

# Make sure we are testing the right revision
mkdir grub_upstream
cd grub_upstream
git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/grub.git .
git checkout COMMIT-TO-TEST
# Remove any non git related file - BEGIN
git reset --hard
git clean -f -d
git clean -f -x -d

# Remove any non git related file - END
# Build efi based grub and install it - BEGIN
./autogen.sh && ./configure --enable-grub-mkfont --with-platform=efi && make
# Dont forget to delete any rest of previous installation - BEGIN
sudo rm -rf /usr/local/etc/grub.d/ /usr/local/bin/grub-* /usr/local/share/grub/
# Dont forget to delete any rest of previous installation - END
sudo make install
# Build efi based grub and install it - END
make clean # Prepare for next build
./configure --enable-grub-mkfont --with-platform=pc && make # Prepare for a i386 build
sudo make install # Install i386 build

TL;DR: Make sure no Grub Debian package is installed, install grub twice, one configured for x86, the other one configured for efi. Then grub-mkrescue detects both modules and adds to the final image which by default is ISO/USB hybrid.

By the way. I was told how to build the image without doing make install (thus not having to remove any Debian Grub package) so I might re-adapt this recipe in the future.

grub-mkrescue -o ./my_grub.iso

adrian15
--
Support free software. Donate to Super Grub Disk. Apoya el software libre. Dona a Super Grub Disk. http://www.supergrubdisk.org/donate/