grub-devel

Re: Console Resolution with GRUB2

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: Console Resolution with GRUB2
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 23:41:03 -0700

On Mar 1, 2013, at 11:20 PM, "D.J.J. Ring, Jr." <address@hidden> wrote:

We need grub to set console resolution, show the grub menu in that resolution, keep that resolution while the computer boots up, then when I type startx I have high resolution in X gui.

GRUB is responsible only for GRUB. As soon as the kernel and initramfs are loaded and executed, the console resolution is up to that distribution's behavior (init for most, and systemd for others including Fedora, not sure about Debian). Once those are running, GRUB is totally dropped and has no say in the matter and as far as I know it never has.

There is a limited time inheritance of GRUB's setting, but the OS itself can override this early on in the boot process. I see that turning text only boot with at least Fedora, CentOS, and SUSE, so I'm guessing that what you attribute to GRUB2 is actually a concomitant change in behavior of your distribution's init process.

Chris Murphy