grub-devel

RE: Console Resolution with GRUB2

From: D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
Subject: RE: Console Resolution with GRUB2
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 01:08:15 -0500

Yes but making a large font still does not cange the resolution down to 640x480 as needed by ncurses programs like Debian's aptitude.

Why cannot GRUB put back the easy to use command to change the boot screen.

I am not looking to make large fonts in high resolution, I am trying to get console resolution to what ncurses and ASCII graphics use.

I am using a kernel from kernel.org, there was a eay to do this by modifying gfxpayload=keep and such lines but with the latest version of grub even this difficult system no longer works.

Also if I install Grub-legacy, I can change the boot parameters to specify resolution.  Everything is the same except those files  that were removed by purging grub and installing grub-legacy.

Why can't this feature be kept?  It ensures compatability for those users who wish to have a console only system.

If I can get what I want by removing grub and installing grub legacy, what is changing is just grub.  Grub generates grub.cfg and that is the problem:  tell Grub to allow an easy to enter resolution parameter like grub-legacy allows.  Just bring back that feature for us console users.  Some day you wont be able to see the high resolution console with the tiny letters :-)

Can you do this for us.

David