grub-devel

Re: Console Resolution with GRUB2

From: D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
Subject: Re: Console Resolution with GRUB2
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 01:56:32 -0500

Chris,

That doesn't explain why if I go back to grub-legacy everything works.  I would agree with you if it were so, but everything else is the same.  But with grub-legacy being discontinued we need to have grub2 have this feature.

To the group:

In addition to thanking you all for your patience and cooperation, I want to ask you to do one little search and you will see the problem.

Open up your favorite web browser, go to http://www.google.com and search for:

change console resolution grub2

You will find many results and most of them have the word "problem" in the results.

Here is a typical result and it talks about grub2.

As usual, everything in grub is just a bit harder than it should be.

Replacing the old linux kernel boot arg vga=791 (for example), which is grub/console gfx resolution: 1024x768
with the new harder and less user friendly grub2 method is done like this

src 1: forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41881
src 2: harrison3001.blogspot.com/2009/09/grub-2-graphical-boot-tips-to-set.html

http://techpatterns.com/forums/about1795.html

As I said these methods no longer work, and why are they so complex?  Certainly if grub could do it easily, why can't grub2 do so also?

Thank you very much!

DR