grub-devel

Re: How many sectors for GRUB 2

From: Ulf Zibis
Subject: Re: How many sectors for GRUB 2
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2012 23:37:41 +0100

Am 03.11.2012 18:05, schrieb Andrey Borzenkov:
core.img is the part that is installed in MBR gap, but it does not mean
that it was this particular file. grub-install creates core.img
in /boot/grub and embeds it in the same run, but it is also possible to
directly use

grub-mkimage -o /tmp/foo.img ...
grub-bios-setup -c /tmp/foo.img ...

You wanted to be absolutely safe and sure. The only way to be is to
reinstall grub using grub-install.

You mean, after I would have shrinked th MBR gap?
That's the problem!
What will happen, if the gap is too small?
For that reason I *before* wanted to know how much space is needed.

Hopefully some developers are reading this thread. Maybe they could
implement a new option, reporting GRUB 2's size in the MBR gap.

I'm thinking of a command like "grub-info", which should output such
information.

Did you try any of script I mentioned? If they did not work we need to
fix them.

I tried:
your bootinfoscript
--> bootinfoscript.txt
your findgrub
--> findgrub.txt
Ubuntu's boot_info_script from Ubuntu Software Center
--> RESULTS.txt

As you can see in the attachment, none of these provided the size of the used
bytes in MBR gap :-(

-Ulf