grub-devel

RE: How many sectors for GRUB 2

From: Elliott, Robert (Server Storage)
Subject: RE: How many sectors for GRUB 2
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 05:57:00 +0000

Starting a partition on LBA 63 (historically common for MBR) or LBA 34
(historically common for GPT)  is a real bad idea for:
- HDDs implementing large physical sectors (e.g., 4 KiB)
- SSDs (page sizes are 4 KiB, 8 KiB, or larger)
- Logical drives presented by a RAID controller (strip sizes in powers of two
ranging up to 256 KiB or even 1 MiB are common)

1 MiB is a simple choice that works well on all those types of storage.  You
can retrieve more precise alignment tips from the SCSI Block Limits VPD page,
but tuning the image for one drive could leave it non-optimal if image copied
to another drive.

1 MiB may not be optimal for a RAID logical drive's stripe (with an "e") size,
but that's a secondary concern to aligning to the strip size.