grub-devel

Re: How many sectors for GRUB 2

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: How many sectors for GRUB 2
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2012 00:31:45 +0100

On 03.11.2012 23:37, Ulf Zibis wrote:

> Am 03.11.2012 18:05, schrieb Andrey Borzenkov:
>> core.img is the part that is installed in MBR gap, but it does not mean
>> that it was this particular file. grub-install creates core.img
>> in /boot/grub and embeds it in the same run, but it is also possible to
>> directly use
>>
>> grub-mkimage -o /tmp/foo.img ...
>> grub-bios-setup -c /tmp/foo.img ...
>>
>> You wanted to be absolutely safe and sure. The only way to be is to
>> reinstall grub using grub-install.
>
> You mean, after I would have shrinked th MBR gap?
> That's the problem!
> What will happen, if the gap is too small?
> For that reason I *before* wanted to know how much space is needed.

Never use the exact number for this. It changes e.g. between versions
and setting exact size would block any upgrade. It will also disable
Reed-Solomon. Just left 1M-1 sector. This is guaranteed to be enough and
results in nocely aligned first partition.
--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko