grub-devel

Re: Configure options questions

From: jlcenter
Subject: Re: Configure options questions
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 02:28:52 +0000 (UTC)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko" <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:33:56 AM

On 20.03.2012 03:59, address@hidden wrote:
> various modules
Exact error message?

Hi Vladimir,

Just to followup on this, I was able to use my iPad's camera to capture the
boot sequence & here's what the messages were:

error: file "/@/boot/grub/i386-pc/raid.mod" not found.
error: file "/@/boot/grub/i386-pc/efi_gop.mod" not found.
error: file "/@/boot/grub/i386-pc/efi_uga.mod" not found.
error: file "/@/boot/grub/locale/en.mo.gz" not found.
error: no suitable video mode found.
error: no video mode activated.
error: file "/@/boot/grub/i386-pc/efi_gop.mod" not found.
error: file "/@/boot/grub/i386-pc/efi_uga.mod" not found.
  Booting "Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.0-17-generic"
error: sparse file not allowed.

The last message is a known problem with grubenv on btrfs.  The other error
messages I think have to do with the Gigabyte hybrid BIOS, which can handle
drives larger than 2TB.  (My MB is a Gigabyte X58A-UD3Rv2.)  GRUB is detecting
this at boot & tries to configure it, though my drives are 1TB.  I didn't build
the efi support, only the bios support so these files don't exist in i386-pc, &
that's why these messages are appearing.

After this, the boot does proceed, but I still have the initramfs problem.  So,
GRUB does appear to be working correctly & the configure options do appear to
be the minimum I need.

Thanks for your help!

    -John