grub-devel

Re: Grub2 Install Image

From: Dmitry Ilyin
Subject: Re: Grub2 Install Image
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 01:45:47 +0400

> Hello all,
> Is there an install disk image for Grub2 as there was for Grub Legacy? I find
> it hard to install Grub2 onto a VMWare partition. If not, is there another way
> to do this? I'm doing this from a machine running Win7.

It's very easy, just boot your virtual machine from cd image. You need to boot
into OS that can install
grub2. Prepare your disk, mount on /mnt, run grub-install --root-directory=/mnt
/your/disk.

You can use this:
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/ Very helpful with grub
http://rip.7bf.de/current/ RIP Linux best linux rescue system ever! Boots into
RAM and you can do any disk
related stuff with it, including grub2 install.

Any other linux live cd with grub will do the job.