grub-devel

Re: Guidance on conflicts between GNU GRUB and proprietary software

From: Bogdan
Subject: Re: Guidance on conflicts between GNU GRUB and proprietary software
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 03:40:34 -0700 (PDT)

> EDD is still INT 13h, last I checked - just function 42h rather than 2h.

> We use that.  Nevertheless, we still get occasional reports of problems
> due to BIOS limitations.

That's why I used the term "conventional INT 13h interface."

> Moving partitions in an OS installer as a prerequisite for actually
> working properly (which is a large part of what I care about given my
> work on Debian and Ubuntu) is far too unsafe, especially if the size of
> the partition exceeds half the size of the disk, as it often will.

Unfortunately, it's the only solution I can think of at the present time. GRUB
can't interpret all file systems and having a data base of all applications
that
mess with the boot track is even worse IMO.

> Users can of course ask for it if they're clueful, but clueful users are
> unlikely to run into this problem in the first place!

That's a good point.

Cheers,
Bogdan