grub-devel

Re: Guidance on conflicts between GNU GRUB and proprietary software

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Guidance on conflicts between GNU GRUB and proprietary software
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 23:34:06 +0200

On 09/28/2010 11:15 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 10:58:31PM +0200, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder'
> Serbinenko wrote:
>
>> On 09/28/2010 10:07 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

>>> GPT has an msdos partition type for itself for use in hybrid setups.
>>> I know GPT partition tables have new types, but GPT itself has a type
>>> reserved in the old dos partition table.
>>>

>> You probably mean the 0xee type. But it's used only to mark the whole
>> space as used. In our case it's a partition which is identified to have
>> all the data deleted. Let's just take a famous collision between Solaris
>> and Linux swap. I doubt that any of them willingly choose the type in
>> order to collide with other. If Linux relied solely on the partition
>> type to identify its swap it would be a disaster for dual-boot system.
>>

> Certainly true. Now there clearly are unused types.
Rather "not widely known to be used".
>   On the other
> hand given the lack of partition entries in the first place, needing a
> partition isn't very convinient at all.
I never said "replace current method with another one" but "add another
one as an option"
> It might be a nice option to
> support though.  Of course I doubt anything prevents the user of a
> partition for grub already, given you could use an MBR that just goes
> to the active partition (ie: standard DOS/Windows behaviour), and then
> have grub be on that active partition, whatever the type may be.

You confuse /boot and embedding.
>> Destroying the data which is on its rightful place is bad independently
>> what you use the place for, how important your usage is or how
>> "unimportant" you judge the current occupant.
>>
> Well grub should only install where someone tells it to.

You confuse again. Where boot code goes is specificied on command line.
Embedding zone is chosed in function of partition map. See "Re:
[grub-setup] New procedure to choose the embedding area" on 09/15/2010
10:11 PM +0200
>> I believe it's possible to have something something much more reliable.
>> We could have a tool grub-mkembed (analog of mkswap) which would mark
>> the partition as available for GRUB embedding (perhaps in addition of
>> checking type). This signature must be written in a way to be
>> overwritten when formatted in known filesystems
>>
> Not sure you can pick a place and be certain all filesystems will
> overwrite it on format.  You can try, but it won't always work.

We can put multiple signatures.

>>> If two architectures expect sector 0 to contain boot code, then that
>>> can't work.  I certainly would not consider that a worthy design goal
>>> compared to lots of other things.
>>>

>> Some architestures are incompatible because of such reasons but many
>> others don't conflict in such ways.
>> When you abandon a design goal or give an exception you first have to
>> make sure that there is no way to reconcile the given features.
>>
> Nice to support if possible, although given how short on partitions you
> are already with msdos partitions is really seems futile.

Logical partitions are fine for most platforms.
>> Just one example: I'm ready to give an exception to multiterm design in
>> order to get the features required for ubuntu CDs but first I discussed
>> in order to find compromise which would result in less mess on codepath
>> intersections and it looks like there is actually one.
>> In this case taking PReP partition type would be unfounded.
>>
> Well I think using a partition at all in the case of the msdos partition
> table is a huge inconvinience to people, and I suspect many won't be
> able to.
>
> it has become annoyingly common to see:
>
> System restore partition
> Windows System partition
> Windows partition
>
> That leaves one primary partition on a typical system these days.  So to
> make more than one partition, that one has to be extended.  Now where
> can grub go?

Logical partition for embedding is fine too.
> If the system maker had been nice, they would have used GPT instead and
> those 3 partitions would not have been a problem.  But of course windows
> doesn't know how to boot from GPT on a normal BIOS based system (unlike
> most other OSs that have no such problem).

see "gptsync"
> If people are dual booting, using the track 0 area may be a bad thing.
> Unfortunately people that a dual booting are most likely to have partition
> limitations making it the only option that works.

s,people dualbooting, people having crapware + some other cases.

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko