grub-devel

Re: How to install grub on fakeraid (raid 0) which spans 2 TB?

From: Seth Goldberg
Subject: Re: How to install grub on fakeraid (raid 0) which spans 2 TB?
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 17:30:10 -0800 (PST)

Hello Bruce,

thanks for the suggestion. But in order to do this I would need to
remove the perfectly working Windows XP and Windows 7 systems to do
this which would be a pity.

No, not really. From your post I thought you you were working with a blank HD. Try this:

P ntfs  300 GB Windows XP SP3 32 Bit
P ntfs  300 GB Windows 7 32 Bit
P ext2  100 MB /boot
L swap    2 GB Linux swap
L ext4  250 GB Ubuntu Linux 9.10 (Karmic) 32 Bit
L ntfs 1100 GB data (for data exchange and storage)
L ext4   48 GB spare space for testing of new OSes

I like to use the first partition as /boot, but there is no requirement to do that. I think you can use a logical partition too, but I'm not 100% sure.

GRUB normally uses a BIOS call as a part of its internal process. The extended call is defined for up to 2^48 sectors. That is far larger than any disk available today. Any limitation, if it exists, is in the BIOS.

While the BIOS call supports 48-bit LBA, the MBR partition table is limited to 32-bit LBA addresses for partition dimensions. If you partition the disk with a GPT partition table, those limitations are removed, but GPT-partitioned disks aren't supported by XP (at least).

 --S