grub-devel

Re: How to install grub on fakeraid (raid 0) which spans 2 TB?

From: André Heynatz
Subject: Re: How to install grub on fakeraid (raid 0) which spans 2 TB?
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 02:59:05 +0100

> P ntfs  300 GB Windows XP SP3 32 Bit
> P ntfs  300 GB Windows 7 32 Bit
> P ext2  100 MB /boot
> L swap    2 GB Linux swap
> L ext4  250 GB Ubuntu Linux 9.10 (Karmic) 32 Bit
> L ntfs 1100 GB data (for data exchange and storage)
> L ext4   48 GB spare space for testing of new OSes
>
> I like to use the first partition as /boot, but there is no requirement
> to do that.  I think you can use a logical partition too, but I'm not
> 100% sure.
>
> GRUB normally uses a BIOS call as a part of its internal process.  The
> extended call is defined for up to 2^48 sectors.  That is far larger
> than any disk available today.  Any limitation, if it exists, is in the
> BIOS.

I have applied the partition table mentioned above. Windows 7 Disk Management
Tool does not allow to create an Extended Partition on the third Primary
partition slot. Thus I used the Ubuntu installer to do it. At first I tried to
install GRUB2 from Ubuntu 10.10 (Lucid), but the error message remains :-( Then
I tried GRUB1 and succeeded, luckily. Probably there is a problem with the
sector offset or the data partition is too large for GRUB1 to skip over. It is
> 1 TB. In the actual scheme, the 1.1 TB data partition comes after the root
partition (where GRUB is installed).

After a kernel update I have to call 'update-grub' manually, but I am happily
doing this, it is only a minor glitch of Ubuntu 9.10.

If there is a new version of GRUB2 which supports dmraid devices, I happily
test it. Maybe it is only a configuration issue, as GRUB2 has become quite
flexible.

Now I know very well how to restore the GRUB bootloader, I have had much
practise.

Of course I will do a backup from my RAID0 system soon.

The system is very fast. No need to wait for boot and shutdown anymore :-)

--
Preisknaller: GMX DSL Flatrate für nur 16,99 Euro/mtl.!
http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl02