grub-devel

Re: How to install grub on fakeraid (raid 0) which spans 2 TB?

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: How to install grub on fakeraid (raid 0) which spans 2 TB?
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 18:24:20 +0100

Am Dienstag, den 22.12.2009, 18:02 +0100 schrieb "André Heynatz":
> I have bought two 1 TB harddisks and one 2 TB harddisk (backup).
> I want to use the 1 TB harddisks in a RAID 0 array (Intel ICH8R
> Fakeraid).
>

> I wanted to install Linux, then create the data partition with
> Win XP SP3 Disk Management Tool. The Linux install failed
> because Ubuntu wanted to install GRUB1 which is not part of
> the install CD.

There was a bug that GRUB Legacy wasn't included on the karmic DVD but
that should have been fixed already. So make sure you use a fresh image
file.

> I wonder that Ubuntu uses GRUB2 at all at the
> moment because the FakeRaid support is still lacking which was
> known before release (a severe regression).

That's why grub-installer uses still GRUB Legacy in case /boot is on a
dmraid.

GRUB Legacy is complete dead for us, so if you want to have help for
that you have to ask at some Ubuntu place or somewhere else.
With GRUB 2 you could try the lucid (10.04) package out.
At least grub-probe should work there.
But I never tested if grub-setup works and so not if it actually boots
correctly from a dmraid.

--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer and GNU GRUB developer