grub-devel

Re: [patch] incorrect root device while /dev/ on tmpfs

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: [patch] incorrect root device while /dev/ on tmpfs
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 14:50:41 +0200

Am Samstag, den 17.10.2009, 16:24 +0400 schrieb Vasily Averin:
> While /dev mounted as tmpfs it does not contain /dev/disk/by-uuid
> directory,
> 10_linux script did not check it properly and do not set root device
> via UUID.
> Therefore following kernel boot can fail (incorrect root device) if
> device names
> was changed.
>
> Attached path fixes this issue. Please review and commit it

On Debian at least /dev is always a udev managed tmpfs, except in the
case you boot from a livecd and chroot of course.
I fail to see why the check if /dev/disk/by-uuid is a directory does fix
anything.
If /dev/disk/by-uuid/abc123 doestn't exit, then this implies
that /dev/disk/by-uuid is not a directory.
Or is this some bug in the test command we need to workaround?

--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer and GNU GRUB developer