grub-devel

Re: [patch] incorrect root device while /dev/ on tmpfs

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: [patch] incorrect root device while /dev/ on tmpfs
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 15:40:39 +0200

Am Samstag, den 17.10.2009, 13:56 +0100 schrieb Colin Watson:
> On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 02:50:41PM +0200, Felix Zielcke wrote:
> > If /dev/disk/by-uuid/abc123 doestn't exit, then this implies
> > that /dev/disk/by-uuid is not a directory.
>
> I think you are misreading the original patch. Check it again ...

Ok thanks to Vladimir on IRC I got it now.
But I don't think it's a good idea to use root=UUID=
if /dev/disk/by-uuid doestn't exist at all.

The only case I can imagine where this would work, would be booting from
a livecd, chrooting to the installed system, which still has the disk
devices in the static dev so you don't need to bind mount /dev.
But that should be only a one time situation.

If in the then booted system /dev/disk/by-uuid still doesn't exist, I
don't think the initrd supports root=UUID= and then every boot would
fail as long as GRUB_LINUX_DISABLE_UUID=true isn't set.

--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer and GNU GRUB developer