grub-devel

Re: [patch] incorrect root device while /dev/ on tmpfs

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: [patch] incorrect root device while /dev/ on tmpfs
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 15:39:50 +0200

Vasily Averin wrote:
> While /dev mounted as tmpfs it does not contain /dev/disk/by-uuid directory,
> 10_linux script did not check it properly and do not set root device via UUID.
> Therefore following kernel boot can fail (incorrect root device) if device
> names
> was changed.

I would be inclined to say that for mainline presence of
/dev/disk/by-uuid is a reasonable indication that initrd supports root
specified by UUID. If it's not present then we should assume initrd is
dumb and doesn't recognises UUID= and just hardcode the device. The
distributors can modify it as they see fit.