grub-devel

Re: [RFC] Eliminate NESTED_ATTR_FUNC

From: David Miller
Subject: Re: [RFC] Eliminate NESTED_ATTR_FUNC
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 16:17:16 -0700 (PDT)

From: "Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko" <address@hidden>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 17:08:34 +0200

> I can't agree with designating nested functions as root issue. Imagine
> tomorrow we discover a bug in "for" loop compiling. This wouldn't be a
> reason to replace all "for"s with "while"s. The root issue is compiler
> bug and it should be fixed

I can tell you that in kernel land when we encounter a compiler
bug we usually have to simply cope with it somehow, and if that
means rearranging some loop to not trigger a bug that is sometimes
what it indeed does mean.

Also, a small project using a pretty obscure feature of gcc was in a
way asking for trouble :-)

But if you want to decrease your testing base every time we hit some
compiler bug you don't particularly like, well I guess that's your
perogative then...