grub-devel

[RFC] Eliminate NESTED_ATTR_FUNC

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: [RFC] Eliminate NESTED_ATTR_FUNC
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 15:42:18 +0200

Hello. NESTED_ATTR_FUNC was introduced 6 years ago to workaround a bug
in compiler. Now it creates only problems. In particular if they are
used wrong it creates a bug of argument passing. Such bugs are
difficult to find because it usually results in strange behaviour and
in grub-emu NESTED_FUNC_ATTR is exteneded to an empty string so gdb
and valgrind can't detect any error. Should we perhaps remove it
coupled with adding a requirement for at least gcc 4.2? Can I run
s/NESTED_FUNC_ATTR//g; on entire codebase and remove corresponding
entry in configure.ac?

--
Regards
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko