grub-devel

Re: [RFT,PATCH] Move embedding to appropriate partmap files

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: [RFT,PATCH] Move embedding to appropriate partmap files
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 22:53:23 +0200

>> We may want to embed more in the future. Actually I think it's not
>> ad-hoc. Basically partition map defines a function which gives back
>> the sectors available for embedding.
>
> Is embedding useful elsewhere?
Yes. Consider a world of checksummed filesystems. In such world you
can't change the contents of the file by just writing to its blocklist
since it will break the checksum. Similar problems exist with RAIDs
and LVMs. On some systems we can't put grub-env in a file. For these
cases we can embed grub-env somewhere where we can write it with ease