grub-devel

Re: [RFT,PATCH] Move embedding to appropriate partmap files

From: Michal Suchanek
Subject: Re: [RFT,PATCH] Move embedding to appropriate partmap files
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 11:39:01 +0200

2009/8/12 Robert Millan <address@hidden>:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 03:33:13PM +0200, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
>> Hello. A bug was filed that embedding code in grub-setup.c was
>> ignoring partmap metadata which could cause its overwriting. To avoid
>> usage of metadata and because of upcoming sunpc embedding support I
>> propose to move embedding to partmap/*.c. For this I devised an
>> interface which enables future reusage of embedding for other too if
>> necessary.
>
> Can this go in util/i386/pc/ instead?  This is basicaly ad-hoc code and
> doesn't seem very meaningful in generic partmap/*.c.

I wonder, it here any firmware that supports multiple partition formats?

On i386 the only requirement would be that the first sector contains a
loader signature but some BIOSes may be overly smart and perform some
checks on the partition table. Firmware on other platforms (like
OpenFrimware or EFI) might be more picky and require a valid partition
table it understands.

Thanks Michal