grub-devel

Re: [RFT,PATCH] Move embedding to appropriate partmap files

From: Seth Goldberg
Subject: Re: [RFT,PATCH] Move embedding to appropriate partmap files
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 13:49:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

Can this go in util/i386/pc/ instead?  This is basicaly ad-hoc code and
doesn't seem very meaningful in generic partmap/*.c.
We may want to embed more in the future. Actually I think it's not
ad-hoc. Basically partition map defines a function which gives back
the sectors available for embedding.

Is embedding useful elsewhere?

Yes! Solaris currently embeds the legacy GRUB stage2 loader in a non-filesystem slice within the Solaris partition (and we put stage1 in the PBR, which allows us to play nicely with Linux distributions who like to jam their boot loaders in the MBR).

 --S