grub-devel

RFC: 1.97 roadmap

From: Robert Millan
Subject: RFC: 1.97 roadmap
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 18:10:40 +0200

Hi,

I think it's time we begin the discussion on GRUB 1.97.  What do we want to
see in it, and a rough schedule.  1.97 is meant to be a point release, without
any major changes (I mean, except for those we already have ;-)), and it should
happen soon (like this month or so).

Here's what I'd like to see included:

  - Low memory heap (useful to move code off kern/i386/pc/startup.S).
  - Authentication support (even if it only supports passwords initially).
  - Gettext.
  - Integrated "hiddenmenu" functionality.
  - Other cleanups, like Vladimir's video split.

Bigger overhauls like the fancy menu or Bean's proposal for new module
format, I think should be considered after 1.97.

What I'd like is that 1.97 is released soon so that this doesn't lead
development to stall.  But this is an open invitation to discuss it, so
please bring in your opinions!

--
Robert Millan