grub-devel

Re: RFC: 1.97 roadmap

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: RFC: 1.97 roadmap
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 09:47:39 +0100

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 09:41:39AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 02:43:34AM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 07:10:12PM +0200, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
> > wrote:
> > > What about savedefault? Which savedefault way you prefer?
> >
> > I think it would be good to have.  But I haven't followed on the savedefault
> > discussion, I just know it would build upon the existing envfile support.
>
> I thought Vladimir's general approach in
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2009-06/msg00002.html was
> just fine (nice and simple, no fancy event handling, builds on existing
> facilities), although I agree with the suggestions from Robert/Pavel
> that the save step should be a single command/function.

Oh, Pavel said in
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2009-06/msg00190.html that
we should use text rather than numbers. I assume that he meant that the
saved entry should actually be the menu item name? If so I tend to
agree; I'm pretty sure that we have a long-standing bug somewhere to the
effect that if you have a bunch of distribution kernels at the top of
the menu and another operating system at the bottom, then it's a pain to
declare the other OS as the default because every time new distribution
kernels are installed the menu indices change.