grub-devel

Re: RFC: 1.97 roadmap

From: Michal Suchanek
Subject: Re: RFC: 1.97 roadmap
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 20:20:46 +0200

2009/8/10 Robert Millan <address@hidden>:

> Hi,
>
> I think it's time we begin the discussion on GRUB 1.97.  What do we want to
> see in it, and a rough schedule.  1.97 is meant to be a point release, without
> any major changes (I mean, except for those we already have ;-)), and it
> should
> happen soon (like this month or so).
>
> Here's what I'd like to see included:
>
>  - Low memory heap (useful to move code off kern/i386/pc/startup.S).
>  - Authentication support (even if it only supports passwords initially).
>  - Gettext.
>  - Integrated "hiddenmenu" functionality.
>  - Other cleanups, like Vladimir's video split.

If the video split is done properly then doing screen rotation on top
of it should be easy.

I would like to see that as well.

However, I am unsure as to how this would be configured.

In my current attempt to get this into the video mode parser without
adding too much stuff I have added a small bit that extracts the
direction from a few letters that are in front of the size.

ie

800x600x32 gives 800x600 resolution in 32bpp

E800x600 or MF800x600x16 gives 800x600 resolution with screen in
another direction.

This should work but I am not sure this would a nice way to specify
the screen direction for the end user.

What is the state of graphics on EFI?

Thanks

Michal