grub-devel

Re: Fw: gettext support

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Fw: gettext support
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 15:14:59 -0400

On Sun, 2009-06-21 at 20:42 +0200, Robert Millan wrote:

> > > No, for system locales we need to use standard locations, or the userland
> > > gettext won't find them.
> >
> > No, for example:
>
> Uhm, okay.  But I'd really prefer if we could stick to the standard paths
> anyway :-)

Do we really need to localize the bootloader?  I think localization of
the tools should be sufficient.

Even Linux kernel is not localized, and it's more likely to tell the
user something important than the bootloader.  Besides, how would you
ask the user about the preferred language at the boot time?  If anything
goes wrong, it's likely that the translations won't be available, and if
everything is fine, the user would just pick an item from the menu, and
the menu can be localized when it's generated.

As for the tools localization, we should follow the standards.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin