grub-devel

Re: Idea: use menu hook to implement the savedefault command

From: Bean
Subject: Re: Idea: use menu hook to implement the savedefault command
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 17:38:16 +0800

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 4:52 PM, Robert Millan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Notice there's already an implementation of a lock command:
>
>  http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg05350.html
>
> which, I think, even without password it would satisfy most of the users who
> want lock/password.  I recommend you read that thread before venturing into
> implement it (Okuji didn't like my initial proposal, and I run out of time
> to find/implement another approach).

Hi,

I notice an issue with that implementation. For example, if
menu_lock=1, how do you unlock it ? Remember that "Unlock the menu" is
an menu item as well, so you can't get to it in the first place,
unless you also specify text of menu somewhere, or use another
variable, for example:

set menu_lock=1
set menu_unlock_menu=Unlock the menu

Besides, we might need to fine tune auth with scripting, like
protecting only some of the commands.

--
Bean