grub-devel

Re: Idea: use menu hook to implement the savedefault command

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Idea: use menu hook to implement the savedefault command
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 23:32:40 +0200

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 05:03:10AM +0800, Bean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Now it's possible to implement savedefault with load_env and save_env,
> but the problem is we need to add it to every menuitem, it's tedious
> process, and new item don't get it automatically.

After discussing this on IRC, I just thought of another alternative.  We
could add a pair of functions to update-grub_lib, like:

begin_menuentry ()
{
  title=$1
  echo "menuentry \"$title\" {"
  echo "do some env-edit magic"
}

end_menuentry ()
{
  echo "}"
}

then have each of the /etc/grub.d modules that add menuentries use these
functions instead of creating the menuentry directly.

As a side-effect benefit, the /etc/grub.d modules become a bit more
readable.

--
Robert Millan