grub-devel

Re: Idea: use menu hook to implement the savedefault command

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Idea: use menu hook to implement the savedefault command
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 12:44:45 +0200

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 06:38:08PM +0800, Bean wrote:

> > My idea was to implement unlock in scripting.  So you could do something
> > like:
> >
> > menuentry unlock {
> >        echo Password:
> >        read user_pass
> >        if [ $user_pass = foo ] ; then
> >                unset menu_lock
> >        fi
> > }
> >
> > but Okuji had some objections to this (see the thread I pasted)
>
> Hi,
>
> I know that, but isn't "unlock" another menu item which would normally
> be locked by menu_lock ? You can hard coded it to ignore the "unlock"
> menu, but what if user want to use another name.

My patch only implements "locking" in the sense that you can't get access to
command-line, or edit menuentries, but you can run all existing entries.

If you want to "lock" in the sense of locking a single entry, my intention
was that this could be done with scripting as well:

menuentry locked {
        if [ $menu_lock = 1 ] ; then
                echo fail
        else