grub-devel

Re: grub-probe gets a segfault

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: grub-probe gets a segfault
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 14:02:40 -0400

On Sat, 2008-05-17 at 13:18 +0000, Isaac Marcos wrote:

>         The fix would be to reject RAID partitions in
>         grub_lvm_scan_device().
>         The only validity check in that function is presence of the
>         LVM label in
>         the first 4 sectors.  Perhaps additional checks are needed.

> Good find Pavel. :-)
>
> Just a question, /dev/sda5 has an equivalent setup:
> # pvck /dev/sda5
>   Device /dev/sda5 not found (or ignored by filtering).
> /dev/sda5             232        3396    25422831   fd  Linux raid
> autodetect
>
> Why grub-probe doesn't fail on /dev/sda5?

I think because it has no LVM label.  Maybe /dev/sda6 was holding a LVM
physical volume before, and the label was not erased when it became a
RAID partition.

As you can see, pvck doesn't display information partition.  It means it
cannot be fooled by the label.  And that's what GRUB should do.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin