grub-devel

Re: grub-probe gets a segfault

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: grub-probe gets a segfault
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 15:02:01 +0200

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 06:15:27PM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 11:53 -0430, Isaac M. Marcos wrote:
>
> > Does:
> > # grub-probe -t device /
> > involve anything Debian specific ????????
>
> It was a generic recommendation.  But if grub-probe was compiled by
> Debian, it's Debian specific in a certain sense.

I don't think there's any change in Debian affecting this area.  But anyway I
recommend that you follow Pavel's advice and run it from CVS directly.

> I cannot reproduce the crash, even on a Fedora installed on a LVM
> volume.

Neither could I :-(

> > Good, next step?

I'm thinking that perhaps we can check the offset values against the bounds
of the structure we have allocated, and abort if they miss.  We need to do
this anyway to support broken PVs, but I don't know if this is hiding a bug
in our code somewhere else.

--
Robert Millan

<DRM> What use is a phone call… if you are unable to speak?
(as seen on /.)