grub-devel

Re: ata.c and sata disks

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: ata.c and sata disks
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 18:59:54 -0400

On Sat, 2008-05-03 at 19:35 +0200, Marco Vega Trucillo wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> I tried to modify ata.c simply add more ioaddress (I attach the diff file
> from 1.96 version), and it work and recognize
> my four sata disk on different pc.

I think it's generally considered unsafe to probe addresses above 0x3ff
without making sure they belong to a compatible device.  The device
should be found on the PCI bus, and enabled if necessary.

> -/* try address of commons sata controller */
> -static const int grub_ata_ioaddress[] = {0x1f0, 0x170
> ,0x9800,0x9000,0x8800,0x18f8,0x18f0};

Your patch is reversed.  Also, it would be better to make a patch
against the current CVS version.

> -  for (port = 0; port <= 6; port++)
> +  for (port = 0; port <= 1; port++)

Using sizeof would be great here.  Unless we switch to using a dynamic
list of interface.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin