grub-devel

Re: Switching to git?

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Switching to git?
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 21:54:29 -0500

Hello!

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 23:16 -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Vesa Jääskeläinen <address@hidden> writes:

> > Git indeed has some nice features, but why I would hesitate its usage is
> > that it does not integrate well with some IDE's like Eclipse. I know
> > there has been some plugin (dead now?), but that is not ready for
> > mainstream use.

If you mean egit, it doesn't look dead to me with the last commit two
weeks ago and the last release two months ago:
http://repo.or.cz/w/egit.git

I'm not sure about the mainstream use, but projects in useless state
don't normally make releases.

> > Where as CVS and SVN works nicely. If I am not mistaken,
> > git is quite platform dependant... at least last time I looked at it, it
> > was coded like it.

Things are much better now, as far as I can tell.

> > That being said... I am not too strongly against switching to it.
>
> That's why GIT has git-cvsserver so you can use plain CVS tools to
> commit in a GIT repository. ;-)

Yes, that may work too.  The git-cvsserver even mentions the Eclipse
plugin.  But perhaps we shouldn't enable git-cvsserver support in the
main repository.  It would be useful on local branches that get reviewed
before merging.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin